Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Lovely Lavender

Yesterday Susan hosted a lovely lavender party for the Cupcakers.  She had collected a couple of lavender crafts from recent magazines.  Lavender is one of the few plants she can enjoy with all the deer in her area.


So first we have to clean the dried lavender off the stalks.  It smelled really good, the dried lavender is really super scented.


Susan shared with us some of her lovely vintage hankies. After pressing and starching them, we cut them into quarters, then squared those up.   We hand sewed little envelopes to fill with the lavender and used old buttons to embellish them.  Aren't they sweet? 


We had enough lavender to each make two sachets.  We bundled the stalks to use in the fireplace this fall, won't that smell good?


We had a lovely fruity salad for lunch, thanks Jill!


We had a lively discussion about our Able Lincoln challenge.  Here is Susan's sketch -

 

And Jill's

Hopefully we'll have something new to show you soon.

Susan has finished her Hat Box top!  She used 5 really sweet vintage hankies here - isn't it wonderful!  We started this project way back and you can see it right here.



Missed you Mary, as we always do ---





avandia lawsuitf

16 comments:

Lori said...

After Jill shared the photos yesterday I ran right out and cut a big bunch of lavender to enjoy. You ladies always make the neatest crafts!!
Love the hat box quilt too. The vintage hankies add a nice touch.

Crispy said...

Ummm I can almost smell the sachets. Nothing smells better than home grown lavender....

Crispy

Thimbleanna said...

Wow -- your get-together looks like so much fun. And the smell must have been heavenly!

Meredith said...

That is so nice you have a group of ladies to create with!

YankeeQuilter said...

Love the smell of lavender...last year I made lavender shortbread - really nice. Just wish I could get it to grow here in Georgia....

Jan said...

I can smell the lavender from here...mmmmm. Sounds like such a fun group you have!

Shelley said...

Gotta go harvest my lavender!!! Loved this post Barb!

Mayleen said...

Also wish I could grow lavender here! The sachets and quilt look like a great way to use some vintage handkerchiefs.

Ann Champion said...

I love the scent of Lavender..your sachets are so sweet made with hankies. What a nice time you girls must have had?
That hatbox quilt is darling! :)

antique quilter said...

another fun day for all of you.
oh the Lincoln quilt ideas are very interesting can't wait to see them made into quilts!
LOVE the hat box quilt, still on my list to make!
Lavender is just so peaceful to me
Love that scent.
thanks for sharing your day with us
kathie

Anonymous said...

Such a fun day for you and your friends...have to tell you that salad looks devine and wonder about recipe.
When I lived in England there were fields of lavender. I could never bring in the house because it drove husband's asthma and allergy crazy.

Anonymous said...

Such a fun day for you and your friends...have to tell you that salad looks devine and wonder about recipe.
When I lived in England there were fields of lavender. I could never bring in the house because it drove husband's asthma and allergy crazy.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh how fun is that! Those lavender sachets are so fun! I never thought about trying to grow lavendar! Huh!

QuiltSue said...

Oh I can almost smell the lavender from here - wonderful perfume I think. The sachets you made are so pretty, it was a clever idea to use them to make the sachets.

Lynda said...

This reminded me that I should go and harvest some of my own lavender - I love the smell so much! The hat-box quilt looks perfect with the hankies!

Kim said...

no directions or recipes?
Miss you